- Brian G on S&P earnings horizon changes — he points to 3 segments: Tech, Financials and Healthcare. … those are the 3 majority segments in my taxable equity portfolio (TEP from now on. https://seekingalpha.com/article/4098494-whatever-markets-issues-s-and-p-500-earnings-definite-positive
- Doug Short’s graph of the week … the catalyst for this is obvious
- i started to look at IBM; freaked out momentarily as i hold CSCO, INTC, & ORCL as old tech companies transitioning … can i tolerate 1 more transition risk? at a valuation perspective, IBM is compelling; here’s somebody else’s view: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4098448-10-reasons-now-time-buy-ibm
- i just do not know what to do with this information, but the comparison of EU junk bond to US treasuries shakes me. Need to re-look at EU exposure.
- I love open-ended questioning http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2017/08/10-questions/
- Open question: Is it time to adjust annual return expectations for the next couple of years to <5%? – i have a fairly low risk master portfolio and pegged returns on average to ~5% including dividends. Upside surprises are nice, but is it time to even plan for worse (at least one major scenario)?
- Two small portfolio adjustments this past week: a) purchased another slice of LTC after the price declined nearly 10% on the week (this is a really well run organization and my position is in IRA. i will build it further as price passes rationality) The news of the week seemed to be one tennant of LTC being in default with a maximum 5% bottomline hit. Lower price exceeded the mark imho. b) i exited out of OHI in my taxable account. I did not want losing position there as it was a temporary park for dividend and possible appreciation. OHI still has several tennant issues to work thru as well as the larger macro confusion on fedral healthcare policy. I have not decided if i will build out position in IRA.